I have made it a goal to take care of myself. In the the past I have always thought that meant pampering oneself. but I have since learned that is not the case. Taking care of things that are important is how we have nice things that we value. I believe its exactly the same when it comes to taking care of our mind, body, and spirit.
In an effort to take care of my mind, I finally sought out help. For the first time in my life I was completely honest with another person (two actually, My therapist and Devin) about what goes on in my head, how I feel and what to do about it. It feels so freeing. I have felt a definite push from the Lord to use my experience to help other people. I am growing.
To take care of my body, this has been a challenge for me often, in the past. But wouldn't you know? once I seriously started to take care of my mind guess what followed very naturally? Taking care of my body. I saw my Dr about my blood pressure and through that discovered my good cholesterol is low. The only way I can bring it up is to get exercise regularly. He gave me pretty serious instructions about that, and it made it easier for me to follow them, having the goal be to bring up my good cholesterol rather then a number on the scale or even days or weeks of exercise. I have a goal to work out for at least 30 min today. Tomorrow I will have the same goal, and the next day the same thing. Breaking it up into one day at a time has made all the difference for me. If I miss my goal today I don't have to wait another 7 days to complete my goal of working out everyday. And guess what? I haven't missed a day in 10 days! I have lost 6 pounds. But that's not my goal. And my original intent in going to see a therapist wasn't even for me. It was to find someone for my kids. Turns out I actually need and want it.
Taking care of my spirit is another positive byproduct of everything else I am doing. My goal this year is to take care of myself (that"s been my goal since I turned 30, three years ago) and to try my best to be Christ like. This directly relates to everything else. I didn't feel Christ like when I was filled with rage. On the outside I think I did a good job of faking it. But faking it is not in my belief like Jesus Christ at all. That's not to say I can't be human and have a bad day. I can and do. But being honest with myself and my family and taking the best care I can of myself seems more like honoring my God then pretending and insisting I am fine when I am not.
No comments:
Post a Comment