Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Goals

I often go thourgh a post in my mind for this blog and then I have zero desire to write it. but I will write this one. the year is coming to an end. alot of people are super excited for 2010. I am for the things that are going to happen, but at the same time I am left wondering, why do we make such a fuss about the new year? it is as if we believe that something magical happens when the numbers change in the year. and I only half subscribe to the resolution thing because I really feel like we should be continually reviewing, re-evaluating, and refreshing our purpose, our goals, direction and progress. So then why do we make such a big deal of it on January 1st and not July 1st? well, I know the answere, its because of tradition. so I guess thats a stupid question. But I invite you all to have regular periods of evaluation and planning.
Even so, as I write the above paragragh. I have goals I want to share, that I plan on working towards in the next 12 months.
but first I am actually really happy to report that some of the ones from last year have actually been achieved.
they were:
1: learn and practice patience. still learning it......

2:study the life of Jesus Christ. I have studied, and I have injoyed it when i did.

3:get regular physical activity. i was better about that in the last 12 months then i have been ever. but not perfect. I did work hard most of the year on that. till about august.

4:get out of the house and do things with the kids. we went on vacation, and we did get out but no where near as much as we needed to. I still really need to work on that.

5:make a few new close girl friends. I did it! well I made one and I love her! my friend Jen is the perfect match for me, I am still learning about how to have a friend who is not a sister of mine, but she is patient with me. love you Jen! I had to go to girls camp to find her. and I am so glad I did. she was the first person I saw as I steped out of the van, and she would not let me past till she knew my name. and its been non stop fun ever since with her. Also I have become even closer with a few of my sissy friends too. I love them all!

6: become a do-er. this one......fail. I have to say I am at the same point now, that i was when I set that goal. but....there have been moments of success, fleeting as they may be i must give them due credit. like the 10 days i worked out in the front yard everyday. and, and and....ok thats all I can think of. but there were more.

ok so what am i going to work on next?

1: doing more with my kids. getting out and teaching wise.

2: save money. even of its a doller a week I want to start to save.

3: have a healthy pregnancy, eat well, exersice and sleep. lots of sleep.

4: take monthly pictures of our family, not as a family neccisarily, but have everyone documented on a monthly basis.

5: finish the Book of Mormon.

looking forward to mikelle turning two,
lily turning 4,
having my third baby,
celebrating 5 years of marriage with my hubby,
lots of fun times,
and many things that are yet to come that I am not aware of.
and praying for the strength to endure the difficult times.
bring on 2010!

1 comment:

Jj Starwalker said...

You are right that there is a lot of energy for change as we turn the calendar and also that it is a totally arbitrary point on the wheel of the year and the spiral of life.

I think it is really neat to see the year as a wheel that goes round and round without end -- but with 8 "spokes" or points where the tides of change turn with the turning of the wheel. Not sure I am quite communicating this well, but the concept of "Yuletide" is a good example... and the related "12 days of Christmas"... it used to be celebrated more as a longer period, rather than just jamming it all into one day, one moment.

So, yes, something "magical" CAN happen as the calendar turns, but it's not a touch-of-the-wand, turn-frog-to-prince kind of magic, but rather the magic of Intent, of putting forth threads you want to pursue and letting them ride into the future on the outgoing Yule tide... That is how resolutions (should) work...

This year is an especially auspicious time to set a direction, using the light of the full, blue moon to power up the sleigh and wash away things that need gone.